Continued Learning Fridays – Beginning this Friday, October 9th, students will begin their new schedule of learning from home Fridays via remote or independent learning. In-person learners will attend school according to their regular schedules, Monday through Thursday. There will be no early-out or late start days. Friday will be a planning, collaboration and student-consultation day for teachers and a day of independent study for students. Online learners will continue with their online learning Monday through Thursday and use Friday to do independent work as assigned by their teacher. Here are some important points to note:
- Friday School Work – Students will be given work to be completed each Continued Learning Friday. The work will consist of “Must Do” and “May Do” assignments that could be completed either with a home computer (i.e. Canvas, Lexia, ST Math, Pearson) or paper/pencil. Online learners will access assignments on Canvas.
- Communication – Friday work will be sent home by each Thursday with a checklist of what must and may be done. Teachers will have specific office hours, but will be available on Fridays throughout the day and will respond in a reasonable amount of time when questions arise.
- Teacher Office Hours – Teachers will have designated office hours from 9:15-11:15 a.m. This time is designated for teachers to answer phone calls and email in order to answer questions. Teachers may also provide help both for Friday work and to help students understand difficult weekly concepts virtually as needed during this time. Please reach out and set up an appointment with your child’s teacher if this is something you would like. Teachers will work their regular Friday hours and will be accessible.
- Friday Attendance – Per state requirements attendance must be taken for each Continued Learning Friday. This will be done either by logging into Canvas, or by signing and returning the Friday learning checklist from your student’s teacher.
- Friday Food – A sack with breakfast & lunch for Friday will be offered to each student at Park Lane on Thursday afternoon prior to student dismissal. Please note that the sack will contain perishable items and should be refrigerated when the student gets home or to their after school care location.
As our friend Mrs. Kurtzhals at Eastmont MS suggested, we too recommend working together with your child and setting a Friday schedule. Setting schedules and daily routines can be extremely helpful in completing assigned learning tasks efficiently. Depending upon grade level work should take roughly between one and two hours.
Park Lane Principal