October 12, 2021
Dear Park Lane Patrons and Families,
I wanted to say THANK YOU one more time for your help with our school’s PTA fundraiser. Thank you PTA board for all the work that went into making it happen. Thank you community for your support. Thank you students, parents and teachers for making it the most successful fundraiser we’ve had. I think our total was $17,856! WOW!
Please see the information and news below to stay on top of the happenings at Park Lane.
Think Safe: Let’s Be Idle Free – Please remember that when you are waiting for dismissal, and are in the horseshoe or in the parking lot, to turn your key and be idle free.
Halloween Festivities – We are hoping to return to our annual Halloween parade, but with the current Covid-19 situation, it will need to be OUTSIDE (potentially very cold). Students would showcase their costumes as we take the parade outside for all to see. The parade would begin at 9:00 a.m. (or shortly after by the time we get outside), and visitors would just meet outside behind the school to view the procession.
In order for it to be a success please adhere to these guidelines:
- All costumes must be school appropriate for all elementary age students.
- Costumes should be suitable for outside temperatures of the day.
- Student costumes should allow the student to participate in regular school activities and learning throughout the day.
- Please avoid costumes with full masks or full-face paint (for safety purposes we must be able to identify individual students).
- Costumes may not be violent, suggestive, or otherwise offensive to someone’s culture, gender, heritage, or religion. Violent props such as weapons may not be included at school.
PLEASE NOTE – In case of inclement weather (rain, snow, extreme cold, etc.) the parade will be streamed online (Facebook Live) instead of in-person.
Reflections – It’s time for Reflections! This is an awesome state and nation-wide PTA program, and is a great opportunity for students to showcase their talents. The theme is “I Will Change the World by…” Please visit https://www.utahpta.org/reflections-information-parents for more information. Entries are due October 21st.
Panther Studio – The Panther Choir is returning! (cheers all around). This is a great experience for 3rd-5th graders at Park Lane and will be held Wednesday mornings @ 7:30 a.m. in the Kiva beginning October 20th. Please fill out the permission slip sent home last week if you’d like your student to attend. Additional forms can be found in the front office.
Digital Citizenship Week – Next week is our annual Digital Citizenship week. Please see the attachment for more information on the daily curriculum that will be taught during the week.
Morning Circles – Did you know that each Park Lane class has a classroom meeting/circle? Teachers lead their students in meetings designed to help set a tone of respectful learning and trust throughout the school day. The meetings help support academic learning by teaching basic social skills, and assist students in developing a strong sense of belonging.
Free Money for the School – If you haven’t linked your Smiths rewards cards to Park Lane please consider doing so. Smith’s, Target, AmazonSmile, and other retailers will donate money to the school (or district) based upon sales linked to the school. This important partnership costs nothing but benefits the school. It’s an easy fundraiser for the school – just link the rewards and they send us a check to benefit our school.
Free WiFi/Older Edition Chromebook – As part of ongoing efforts to bridge the digital divide for students, Canyons is again partnering with the Comcast Corporation to cover monthly Internet connection costs for families in need. The program, coupled with investments to build Canyons’ stockpile of computing devices, aims to ensure all students — those learning online and inside the classroom — are equipped to succeed. If you are in need of WiFi or a Chromebook for your student to use at home please reach out and let us know how we can help.
Substitutes Needed – Would you be willing to cover your child’s class for a day? If you would be willing to occasionally teach a class for half or a full day (even if you’d only be interested in subbing in your own child’s class), we would love for you to serve as an emergency substitute at Park Lane. With the shortage of substitutes we could really use a few people willing to be called upon in case of an emergency. Please let us know if you are willing. J
Important Dates to Remember:
- October 12th – PTA Meeting @ noon
- October 14th & 15th – Fall Recess (no school)
- October 18th-22nd – Digital Citizenship Week
- October 20th – Picture Retakes & Panther Studios Choir begins for grades 3-5 (@7:30 a.m. w/signed permission slips)
- October 20th-24th – Spirit Week @ Papa Murphy’s Pizza
- October 21st – Reflection Entries Due
- October 25th-29th – Red Ribbon Wellness Week
- October 28th – October Panther Strides Pastries with the Principal
- October 29th – Class Halloween Parties and Outside Parade (weather pending). In case of inclement weather the parade will be shared live on FB rather than in-person.
- November 4th – SCC Meeting @ 7 p.m.
- November 9th – PTA Meeting @ noon
Thank you again for all your support, and for your partnership in education.
Justin Jeffery, Principal