Park Lane Elementary
9955 South 2300 East
Sandy, UT 84092
Justin Jeffery, Principal
January 9, 2023
Dear Park Lane Patrons and Families,
New Year = New Learning. Please check out the information below for school information and announcements.
Think Safe – Did you know we hold a safety drill every month? Even here in January we’ll be conducting a fire drill to ensure that students can safely exit the building. We get pretty good at drills such as fire, earthquake, shelter in place, and even lockdown drills. Does your family have an escape plan at home? If not, please consider developing your safety plan at home too. It never hurts to be prepared.
Note: Safety Change – With all that we do for safety, we are making a change on inclement weather days and opening fewer doors for students to come in. Moving forward, on inclement weather days students will need to come in either through the front doors past the office or through the 4th/5th grade level doors where our playground monitor will be. We feel this will be a safer option to better monitor who has access to the building on such days.
Improved Communication with Parent Square – One way communication has improved this year is through the use of Parent Square. Did you know that this allows parents to get alerts via email or text through the use of the Parent Square app? Our teachers are enjoying the flexibility that Parent Square gives to communicate quickly through a parent’s preferred method. It’s also great because it’s used by our whole district and vertical team so parents don’t have to have multiple communication methods for different students. If you haven’t taken the time to add the Parent Square app to your phone that might be a great 2023 resolution. We want to be in touch with you.
Attendance Incentives – We are kicking off 2023 by stressing the importance of school attendance in the lives of all of our students. Our focus will be incentivizing student attendance for all students.
Supplemental Kindergarten Count Down – We are hoping to continue offering Supplemental Kindergarten at Park Lane during the 2023-2024 school year. Parents may apply to enroll starting January 25th @ 10 a.m. Space is limited, and has filled quickly the last couple of years so we suggest enrolling early. More information is available on the school website.
Survey Says – Thank you to everyone who provided us feedback on our school survey. We again had excellent results! We do have the best teachers, students, and staff around. Of course, none of this would be possible without your support as parents, guardians and members of this amazing community. I also appreciated the few, yet important, items of feedback that we can improve upon. If you have specific concerns I’d encourage you to reach out directly.
Next Year Planning – This is the time that we start thinking about next school year including registration and permits. If you have an upcoming kindergarten you can begin registration and let us know who to plan for. Additionally, if you are currently on a permit and planning to remain at Park Lane please make sure we know to plan on you. J
Important Dates to Remember:
- January 10th – PTA Board Meeting @ 11:40 a.m.
- January 12th – AR Parties
- January 13th – Teacher Grading/Professional Development Day (no students)
- January 16th – Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday (no students)
- January 18th & 19th – Acadience benchmark testing
- January 25th – Supplemental Kindergarten Enrollment begins.
- January 27th – Panther Strides Pastries with the Principal @ 8:00 a.m. (January winners)
- January 31st – Fifth Grade Field Trip to Eastmont Middle School
- February 1st – School Grades 3-5 Spelling Bee @ 9 a.m. (parents welcome)
- February 1st-21st – Reading Wars
- February 13th – Fifth grade field trip to the Utah Symphony.
- February 14th – Valentine’s Day parties
- February 20th – President’s Day Holiday
- February 21st – PTA Board Meeting @ 11:40 a.m.
- February 24th – Panther Strides Pastries with the Principal @ 8:00 a.m. (February winners)
- February 27th – March 2nd Scholastic Book Fair (Times TBA)
- February 28th – End of second Trimester
- March 1st & 2nd – Parent Teacher Conferences
- March 7th – Café Zupa’s Spirit Night
- March 15th – Spring Pictures
Thank you again for all your support, and for your partnership in education.
I love being a Park Lane Panther!
Justin Jeffery, Principal